Changing Places facilities are a real improvement on standard accessible toilets as they provide a larger floor area of 12m² and additional equipment such as a height-adjustable adult-sized changing bench, a full room coverage ceiling track hoist system, a centrally located toilet bowl with space either side for transfers/assistants and a safe and clean environment.
Changing Places facilities need to meet a certain standard to be registered on our website. This is to ensure that any facility advertised as a Changing Places toilet meets the needs and expectations of the people who use them.
Changing Places must have a minimum floor area of 12m² (3m x 4m) with a ceiling height of 2.4m in order to meet the criteria for full registration.
Changing Places criteria
● Height-adjustable, adult-sized changing bench
● Full room coverage ceiling track hoist system
● Adequate space for the user and up to two assistants
● Centrally located toilet bowl with extra space both sides for assistants
● Privacy screen
● Wide paper roll
● Large waste disposal bin
● Washbasin, preferably height adjustable
Further information on dimensions, equipment, and standards are available from Changing Places UK.
Register a Changing Places
Register your Changing Places here.